Friday, May 31, 2013

make not for thy selves grave images.

so in my journey one of the difficulties which I have faced is the idea of statues, and icons being used in worship. being raised a protestant I was taught that there should be no images (such as crucifixes, or icons) in the sanctuary, the most adornment was of course a simple wood cross above the pulpit and i suspect this was only out of some sense of tradition. but as I walked through my theological formation I found that it was indeed acceptable to use such items in worship. the only unacceptable thing to use was an image claiming to be that of God the Father. the reason for this is because all the saints, the angels (some any way), Mary, and even Jesus him self had an earthly form. the reason it is unacceptable to make an image of God the Father is because he has and never had no earthly form. If we attempted to give God an earthly form we are saying we have a power over him. There for I say to my protestant brothers and sisters look into the tradition of most importantly to me icons and iconography, but also statuary.        


yours in Christ Jesus our risen savior~ Malachi Blaze Peter Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment